Friday, July 12, 2013

Big Data brings CMO and CIO closer together

As I was catching up on some older reading, I saw the editorial from the June 10 edition of BtoB Magazine, "Big Data push drives marketing and IT closer":

"Big Data. It's a term that can cause vertigo in marketers who careerlong focus has been on the creative side of the marketing equation."
This goes right to the heart of the argument I've been thinking through in my head about the shifting nature of marketing from creative to data-driven (see my 3-part guest posts on the SoCal Business Marketing Association's blog here). The technological landscape of marketing is quickly and inexorably moving us in the direction of requiring both creative and quantitative skillsets to be successful marketers. This editorial, and the continued M&A activity in this space (Salesforce acquires ExactTarget is just the latest example) I think are further proofs of this shift.

Marketers beware! Creativity isn't enough anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment