Monday, January 19, 2015

Networking is your career's way of saying "eat your vegetables"



A common theme recently in both print and at some events I've attended: stop saying, or humblebragging, how busy you are. We're all busy. And that's a problem in so many ways. From our emotional and physical health, to even our career health.

Yes, our career health. Having your nose to the grindstone, as I've discovered over the past 27+ years of my 2 careers, isn't a recipe for success. You need to get out there, both at the office (e.g. the watercooler, stretch projects with a completely different group) and locally outside the office. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for resentment: "why won't they just RECOGNIZE all the AMAZING work I'm doing???". The unfortunate answer is...well, they won't. Would you? Do you automatically sing the praises of that overworked, boring, stressed out co-worker who never lifts her head from her laptop or desk? I rest my case.

Remembering "to eat my vegetables" is as much a dietary as career requirement for good health, I had the pleasure of attending several networking events the past week, the San Diego AMA's Art of Marketing Conference this past Friday, and the CONNECT SME Mixer. It was a great pair of local events where I was able to connect with other marketers and professionals here in the San Diego area. When my daily work life is pretty much spent on conference calls and online meetings with colleagues on the other side of the continent, it's nice to get together in person. And learn new things. Pretty awesome stuff like a B2B Content Marketing session that confirmed that, wow, I'm actually not as far behind the 8-ball as I suspected. Or getting to know about a cool startup called Green Rope which is trying to bring approachable marketing automation to small and medium companies.

And I'm not done for the week. I have the upcoming Business Marketing Association SoCal Integrated Leadership Summit. And the week after that, it's IBM's annual conference for all things collaboration, IBM ConnectED 2015.

Lots of vegetables. As a kid, I always liked my vegetables. And now as an adult, looks like I still do :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment